If you have a leaky roof, Your home may be at serious risk for further damage to other areas of your home.
If you suspect a leaky roof you should try to find the leak quickly. It does not take long for your home to become susceptible to costly repairs.
Not sure if your roof is actually leaking? Here are some quick things to check first.
1. A musty house smell
2. Dripping sounds inside your home
3. Interior paint bubbling or peeling during hard rains
And Check the quality of your roof from the ground. Some signs to be aware of are include:
1. Loose or exposed nails on your roof
2. Clogged or loose gutters & downspout
3. Loose flashing or cracked sealants around your chimney
4. Curling or buckling shingles on your roof/Loose shingles laying in your yard
One of the biggest and quickest problem to appear is MOLD!
Mold can start to form in as little as 24 hours! The longer you leave this issue the harder and more costly it be resolve this issue.
Mold and mildew can lead to serious health issues, especially for those with high sensitivity, including nasal congestion, inflammations and asthma. Mold spores continue to be produced once it's present and will lead to allergic reactions, asthmatic symptoms, and more serious health problems.
Some other risks that can occur in a leaky roof include;
Affected Insulation R-Value :
If your cellulose or fiberglass insulation becomes saturated and it takes a long time for it to dry out. If a roof leak repair is put off for a long time, chronic water intrusion will deplete the insulation significantly and your home will lose hot and cool air, resulting in higher utility bills
If your electrical wiring is present in an attic or ceiling, a leaky roof could pose a fire threat from shorted wires.
Leaks (Water) can be very tricky to deal with! Water can easily migrate from a leaky roof to virtually anywhere once it finds it way into the attic.
- The Leak is not usually coming in directly above the visible water stain. It is more common for it be coming in from a higher area in the attic and following a truss down to its lowest possible spot. ei ceiling or running down a wall.
The first accessories to fail on a roofing system to cause a leak are typically these spots.
Leaking Roof Vent Pipe
Roof vent pipes are common areas for roof leaks. Over time, the materials often degrade from heat and sun exposure and can shrink or split.
Roof Valley Leaks
Roof valleys are created wherever two roof surfaces intersect to form a shallow “V” shape.
Roof valleys carry a lot of water.